[PLUG] BSNL EVDO Network Manager

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:31:09 IST 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM, binoy <binoy at gnextitsolutions.com> wrote:
> I believe a recent patch (submitted by you guys) added support for BSNL
> EVDO Modem Ac8700 to network manager.
> I am running Jaunty, and my modem does not show up in network manager.
> The entry for the modem is present
> in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi
>
> # lsusb
> Bus 005 Device 012: ID 05c6:3197 Qualcomm, Inc. CDMA Wireless
> Modem/Phone
>
> # hal-find-by-capability --capability modem
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5c6_3197_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0

This is a bug with network manager imho. Check the logs. The
capability appeared in some rc and then disappeared again for the
final release.

Here's what happens -

Hal  spots the device & load its drivers . successfully.
Network manager scans the device and decides ( don't know why ) that
the device is not capable of CDMA.

To my knowledge this is a bug with network manager and its ppp utility
functions.  Until then we're stuck with wvdial ( dang ! ).

regards,