[PLUG] Unable to See Desktop in Open Suse 11.1

Vikas Damodar Garud vikas at techqual.com
Fri Aug 28 18:05:00 IST 2009

On Thursday 27 Aug 2009 7:17:16 pm अनुप उनवणे wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Yesterday night, I tried  Open Suse 11.1 Live CD.
> While booting it loads nearly 50% and then shows a strange mesh on screen
> and computer hangs.
> I tried setting lower resolution , VESA mode, failsafe settings but same
> problem.

This could be video card issue.  I have similar issue with (old) SiS pci card.
No distribution other than Ubuntu/Xubuntu works.  In all others I tried (SuSE
11.1, Mandriva, Mepis, Vector Linux) I get exactly the same problem.  I can
do installation with text mode in Vector Linux, however configuring X - even
with lowest resolution and VGA or VESA driver results in hanging of the
machine.

Right now, I am on Xubuntu with resolution of 640X480 (Otherwise working OK)
and trying all that I can think of to increase the resolution (I know the
card and monitor can do 1024X768).

HTH
Vikas Garud