[PLUG] minutes of today's monthly meet

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 09:06:45 IST 2009

Replies in-line :-

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 15:58, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> shirish wrote:
>

>> The other thing which happened is that Ramky (always forget his full
>> name, sorry) from Redhat showed us a demo of frets on fire.
>
> Ramakrishna Reddy and it is Red Hat.

Apologies for incorrect naming.

> I had
>> heard of this game but had never run due to its 2 GB RAM system
>> requirements. http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It was yesterday's nightly build and the demo was good enough for us.
>> (There's a bit of humor in the demo which is cool)
>>
>> What would be more interesting is to know if there have been any
>> attempts to use sheet music or notations alongwith the game. There are
>> some softwares to write notations and stuff in GNU/Linux.
>>
>> Of course the copyright laws for sheet music suck but that's a matter
>> for a different day.
>
> This game is also unfortunately mirrored in patent issues and will never
> be included in Fedora.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2008-January/msg00022.html
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2008-January/msg00041.html
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-games-list/2008-January/msg00033.html

Sad to read that :(

>> (Couldn't help wondering the difference with ATi now opening up some
>> of their specs and stuff but that's a different topic altogether)
>
> Well, the difference is that if hardware manufacturers opened up
> specifications, people who know how to write good drivers can do so. It
> will take more time but likely will work better.

True and kudos for ATi for doing that :)

<snipped>

>> Lastly, the discussion veered into still issues of hardware support
>> specifically with scanners and printers who are below the 5k range.
>> Some of the models were of HP, while some of Humax and others.
>>
>> What would have been also interesting to also point out would have
>> been this resource
>>
>> http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
>>
>> I actually wanted to get reactions from the free software community
>> about this line given on the project main page.
>>
>> "*** DON'T USE the foo2zjs package from:
>>          Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandrake/Manrivia, Debian, RedHat, Fedora,
>> Gentoo, Xandros, EEE PC, Linpus, MacOSX, or BSD!
>> *** Download it here and follow the directions below. "
>
> There are a number of such projects where the developers are often
> hostile towards some of the downstream distributions or in this case,
> almost all of them. Such projects including cdrecord or XFree86 have forked

yup, that wwas on my mind, the wodim or/and cdrkit vs Joerg
Schelling's cdrecord.
Infact, had sent him an e-mail asking why he doesn't work with
downstream distributors
(still awaiting a reply on the same) .

Ramky did mention also of
http://oss-drivers.sourceforge.net/Welcome.html but the project seems
to have been in coma. Atleast the cvs repository doesn't show any
activity since 2k6

http://oss-drivers.cvs.sourceforge.net/oss-drivers/

either the branch or the HEAD. So unless they are using some other
place for drivers the project seems to have run itself aground.

The mailing list last activities were in June 2006.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=oss-drivers-announce

> Rahul.

          Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17