[PLUG] How to tweak Grub

Milind Arun Choudhary milindchoudhary at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:59:50 IST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM, K.V.RAJEEV <kvrajeev at npcil.co.in> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am a newbie. I have installed Fedora-10 on SATA-2 having Windows XP Prof. on SATA-1.Everything fine.
> But I want the dual boot option from the starting without hitting any key when grub appears.
> grub gives only three seconds to hit the key.That is a short time.I want  grub to give  dual booting option straight.
> Is there a way?
boot fedora to edit the grub.conf file.
"/boot/grub/menu.lst"  or a symlink "/etc/grub.conf"

there are various parameters in this file, changing those to your
needs will help.
1. Increase the wait period
timeout <n secs>

2. remove this line  if you are prompted to hit ESC before to see the grub menu.
hiddenmenu

3.The default OS to boot.
default <#>

the conf file itself has sufficient explanation of these params..

HTH
Milind