[PLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 GRUB problem - only shows memtest option

Mandar Vaze mandarvaze at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 23:50:23 IST 2009

> > 7. Copied first 512 bytes of /dev/sda6 using "dd" command into file
> > "ubuntu.bin"
> > 8. Copied "ubuntu.bin" onto "C:"
> > 9. Edited C:\boot.ini, and added entry "C:\ubuntu.bin="Ubuntu 8.10"
>

> This is interesting. I didn't know that Windows boot loader can boot
> GNU/Linux. The solution I provided you works only if you use GRUB.

Steps 7-9 do the trick. It is well documented on internet.

Well, what's the reason not using GRUB and to stick to Windows boot loader?

This is my home machine, my wife uses it for her work. So I want to make
sure that Windows continues to function/boot correctly. I have already
messed it up once in past (Ubuntu 5.10 days, I think)

If it was non-shared machine, I would not keep windows :)

-Mandar