[PLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 GRUB problem - only shows memtest option

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 03:31:09 IST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Abhishek Amberkar [अभिषेक] <
abhishek.amberkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Mandar Vaze <mandarvaze at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Well, what's the reason not using GRUB and to stick to Windows boot
> loader?
> >

> > This is my home machine, my wife uses it for her work. So I want to make
> > sure that Windows continues to function/boot correctly. I have already
> > messed it up once in past (Ubuntu 5.10 days, I think)
> >
> > If it was non-shared machine, I would not keep windows :)
> >

> Even if you install GRUB on MBR, you will get your windows boot correctly.
> GRUB's chainloader can boot windows.

Thats true, while installing Ubuntu, if you would have chosen MBR instead of
/dev/sda6 , Ubuntu's installer would have intelligently detected Windows on
the machine and installed GRUB loader with a 'Windows" entry to boot into
Windows.

But anyways, I think in your current situation, your missing vmlinuz  is
clearly the problem.

At the top of my head, the following few methods come to mind :
- Re-install Ubuntu
- Download a kernel tarball (maybe 2.6.27 itself) and compile it manually.
- Try putting a vmlinuz from an installed machine. If you want to go with
this method, I could mail my vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic to your offlist.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in