[PLUG] 64-bit Linux - Is it worth the switch ?

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:43:41 IST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Shridhar Daithankar <
ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 January 2009 17:01:40 Mandar Vaze wrote:
> > Came across this article about "Go 64-bit with Windows 7" :
> > http://i.gizmodo.com/5133771/why-you-should-go-64+bit-with-windows-7
> >
> > The article above says "if you have less than 4GB RAM, stay 32-bit",
> > does it hold true for Linux as well ?
>
> Nah.. 64 bit linux is always faster, no matter how much RAM you have.
> Personal
> experience. It boots faster, works faster and GUI is noticebly snappy
> compared
> to 32 bit versions. Dual boot it for some days and you will have cobwebs
> around your neck when using 32 bit OS.
>
> > I would like to read about first hand experience of people using 64-bit
> > Linux, is it any better compared to 32-bit ?
>
> I am using a 64 bit OS for at least 3 years,(slamd64/slackware and now
> arch).
> Except for non-essential things like flash, things have worked great for
> me.
> Although 3 years back getting a 64 bit distro. completely on par with 32
> bit
> was bit difficult.
>
> Oh and there is no java plugin for browsers, at least not from sun.
>
> > Is there a reason to switch to 64-bit (especially for home
> > use/non-server use) ?
>
> not really except everything is 30-50% faster.

Quite surprised to hear this!
I've never tried 64 bit Linux. I always thought that I/O was the bottle neck
and, 64bits would give me pretty much identical a performance on my desktop
except may be for apps like gcc or gpg or lame. Your reports of such a
speed-up make me think that i've been under-utilizing my machine. Will
switch to 64bit some time and share the differences i experience. Thanks :)

> OTOH, I have a dos program(yay laugh) that I absolutely must have and it
> only
> works on 32 bit slackware/dosemu. Does not work on 64 bit linux in any
> emulation. Of course, I know the program is buggy in some way but now can't
> help it.

Did you try it on dosbox ?

Best regards,
Pranav