[PLUG] squid tips

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Jul 11 17:51:33 IST 2009

Can squid proxy be set up as a sub-proxy of an MS proxy server.

The cache_peer option in squid does that. But the issue is mainly with
authnetication. The constraint is the client must authenticate with the MS
Proxy (I think using NTLM). Can the intermediate squid act as a postman for
such authentication? (i.e. a client that does not understand NTLM
authneticates itself with squid and squid in turn does NTLM authentication
with MS Proxy on its client's behalf.) Another constraint is no user
id/password should be hard coded in squid conf files.

Such a need arises due to some applications not being able to authenticate
themselves with MS proxy. (Eclipse for one. Seems, generally an issue with
Java applications. Read this is due to some licensing issues. Anyway, I am
_not_ seeking suggestions on how to make java apps work with MS proxy even if
that were possible. Rather seeking to wrap such apps under squid.)

Mayuresh.