[PLUG] file locking

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Fri Jul 17 10:27:51 IST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Aditya Godbole<aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Manas Alekar<maalekar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You might be interested in mandatory file locking via setgid. Mount
>> using option mand and then use lockf. There are pitfalls, though.
>
> I am looking at a user level approach, not a programmer level approach.

this is not a direct answer to your question but the approach maybe
helpful in general sense... anywhere...

the story:

(s)he was taking a class of small children somewhere and (s)he always
had a problem correct identifying few kids by there correct names.
despite several attempts to find out the distinguishing points to
correctly identify them, (s)he failed several times.

so (s)he wound down own ego and approached one of the students and
asked whether they have problem identifying certain of their
friends... (s)he said no problem... just look at this feature of so
and so, and it went on like that... the human image recognition
problem was solved which was otherwise difficult to handle... :-)

the moral:
The heroes are not necessarily the once we think who get portrayed,
but the real heroes are the ones who make those...

the icing on the cake:
taking the same approach solved few user issues in the times later!

--
every question contains it's own answer, it's just that the equation
needs to be identified!