[PLUG] Touchpad from Elantech not working on ubuntu 9

Vishal Khialani vishal.khialani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:01:03 IST 2009

Hi,
My touchpad is not working on the laptoop. I am new to linux.

I first tried to use the xinput list and the below result shows no touchpad

Virtual core pointer" id=0 [XPointer]
Num_buttons is 32
Num_axes is 2
Mode is Relative
Motion_buffer is 256
Axis 0 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 0
Axis 1 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 0
"Virtual core keyboard" id=1 [XKeyboard]
Num_keys is 248
Min_keycode is 8
Max_keycode is 255
"AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" id=2 [XExtensionKeyboard]
Num_keys is 248
Min_keycode is 8
Max_keycode is 255
"Video Bus" id=3 [XExtensionKeyboard]
Num_keys is 248
Min_keycode is 8
Max_keycode is 255
"Macintosh mouse button emulation" id=4 [XExtensionPointer]
Num_buttons is 32
Num_axes is 2
Mode is Relative
Motion_buffer is 256
Axis 0 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 1
Axis 1 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 1
"USB U+P Mouse" id=5 [XExtensionPointer]
Num_buttons is 32
Num_axes is 2
Mode is Relative
Motion_buffer is 256
Axis 0 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 1
Axis 1 :
Min_value is -1
Max_value is -1
Resolution is 1

I then tried the below command as suggested which also did not work.

modprobe -r psmouse
modprobe psmouse proto=imps

I am not sure what should I do I know I am having a Elantech touchpad
on my laptop and it works fine under windows. I am using an axioo ml
058 and my os details are Linux vishal-laptop 2.6.28-11-generic
#42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Hope someone can help me here

Cheers,
Vishal Khialani