[PLUG] command line http authentication

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Mar 7 20:15:22 IST 2009

My ISP uses http authentication. So user has to go to a certain https URL and
login with username password etc.

This forces me to use a browser to start my internet connection.

Is there any way to do above https interaction using (say) a command line
tool - basically non interactively rather than command line vs gui?

One reason to look for this is to generally avoid having to launch the browser
just for authentication when you might not actually need it otherwise.

Another, more compelling reason is, if you leave a large download unattended
for hours and if the connection gets broken (let's bash ISP on some other
thread for that ;-) it does not get reconnected automatically. There is no
mechanism to keep retrying till the connection is re-established. (This used
to happen so when I had a pppoe based connection.)

Mayuresh.