[PLUG] OT: How many of you are programmers?

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:30:36 IST 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Kapil Kaisare <kksm19820117 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I was thinking of doing a series of presentations on Javascript - and later
> on, perhaps other interesting languages, at the monthly meetings of PLUG; I
> was wondering how many attendees are programmers, and/or how many would be
> interested in such presentations?

This is something that I have to deal with in Bangalore. We have
separate communities for Java, Python, Ruby, OpenSolaris, .NET and
Linux. Some of these communities have common members (like myself).
There are very few people who are programmers as well as
sysadmins/interested in how Linux-like systems work (e.g. apt-get
issues, etc).

We recently experimented by hosting an Android presentation at the
ilug-bengaluru meet a few weekend ago. After the meet, we discovered
that there were a very few of us who were able to understand the
programmer level nuances of that presentation. Most did enjoy the
"system" bit of it. So one lesson that I have learned is to keep
language focussed discussions separate from non-language technology
discussions.

There is other communities in Pune who enjoy discussing programming
language related topics. Some of my colleagues at Thoughtworks Pune
host language specific meets. There was a recent Ruby meetup at
Thoughtworks Pune, and there are enthusiasts on other programming
languages and related matters (such as funcitonal programming, test
driven development, etc) who often meet there. You may want to link up
with them.