[PLUG] Motivating students to setup Web servers to share data

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sat Mar 14 11:15:55 IST 2009

--- On Fri, 13/3/09, abhishek sharma wrote:

> Our discussion regarding helping students to setup Web
> servers at their
> home pc's to share data is still at halt. I m talking
> this with regards to
> the discussion we had at PLUG meeting in Gnunify, Apologies
> that I could not
> attend the PLUG meeting on 7th March otherwise we could
> have had a proper
> discussion.

I may be completely out of context here, but what sort of 'data-sharing' is being talked about? Perhaps, FTP servers may be setup if it is about sharing 'files'. However, I do fear that it may end up being the next napster sharing only 'my-fav-mp3-song'.

A webserver would rather prove useful if it is knowledge sharing on a CMS hosted website.

Apache is known to be the best on any distribution and you would have to know which 'student' has / may have opted for a PUBLIC IP. (very rare, though). Or there are options for no-ip.com which should help in these cases.