[PLUG] Motivating students to setup Web servers to share data

Abhijit Bhopatkar bain at devslashzero.com
Mon Mar 16 11:10:16 IST 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Mehul Ved <mehul.n.ved at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Abhijit Bhopatkar
> <bain at devslashzero.com> wrote:
>> It will be a good idea to try installing apache on your distro and get
>> no-ip.com domain setup. Try these things on your pc, its should not be
>> difficult, any problems and we are always here to help.
>
> The aim is to share files or a more wider aim like making them learn LAMP?
> If just former than samba should be easy to setup under distros like
> Ubuntu for one.

The aim is to get students interested, motivate them to use their
computers for more than chatting,firefox and games. And hopefully do
this by usage of linux/foss (which obviously has advantages as far as
these aims are concerned).

Hosting a website on your home computer and actually understanding
whats happening while you do that has the |coolness factor" that can
get them rolling.

BAIN