[PLUG] Advice on DVD Burner - USB

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 14:08:30 IST 2009

On Friday 02 Oct 2009, Vikas Damodar Garud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Internal DVD writer on my Toshiba Laptop has crashed and most likely
> won't be repaired.  I am planning to buy an external, USB DVD writer
> (dual layer). Anybody has any experience, particularly adverse, for
> any make, model?  In general, is there anything I should look for
> (for Linux compatibility) when making this purchase?

Linux kernel recognizes all USB external DVD writer, i.e. no dependency
on brand name.

I have had good experience with LaCie but they are a bit more expensive.
Samsung is also good.  Look for at least 1 year warranty.

Avoid building one of your own using kits - I ended up wasting money.

--
Arun Khan