[PLUG] Fwd: VMware pre-release with replay / reverse debugging for linux/gdb is available

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 04:23:41 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Snyder
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Subject: VMware pre-release with replay / reverse debugging for
linux/gdb  is available
To: gdb at sourceware.org

Hello,

For those who are interested, VMware has made available a free
pre-release version of its Workstation 7.0 product, with support
for replay and reverse debugging of Linux guests using gdb from
the host.

This is a free download with a time-limited serial number,
and minimal intrusive requirements (registration with any
email address, and agreeing to a EULA).

Among the nifty things supported are fully deterministic
replay debugging of guest kernels, including all drivers and
modules, starting right from kernel start-up (and including
reverse debugging).  User-mode multi-thread reverse/replay
debugging is also supported.  This is full-system replay, if
you go backwards your windows will undraw themselves, files
will unwrite themselves, etc.  All processes on the system
will run backward in sync with each other.  Packets will
return to their senders, etc.

Download from here (I hope installation instructions are clear):
http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

"Getting Started" user docs are here:
http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10714

Please let me know if you have any problems or comments.

Michael Snyder
(VMware, Inc.)