[PLUG] mount point of my SD card has changed on Ubuntu 9.10

Parag Shah adaptives at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 11:23:06 IST 2010

>> This is really wierd. Till yesterday the mount point of my SD card (on an

> >> Ubuntu 9.10 system) was /media/3034-2229 and today morning it has become
> >> "/media/BODY>?<_HTM".
> >>
> >> I don't believe I have done anything to mess this up, but still does
> anyone
> >> have any clues, what could I have done to create this mess?
> >>  <http://blog.adaptivesoftware.biz>
> >>

> > Sorry to have missed out this detail - I am running Ubuntu through Wubi.
>
> Don't know why Ubuntu changed the mount point.  You may not have
> changed anything knowingly but  Ubuntu updates might have installed a
> newer kernel or low level device managment software?
>
> What kind of filesystem do you have on the SD Card.  I usually give a
> "volume" name to each of my removable media.  Linux mounts it on
> /media/<volume_name>

Hi Arun,

The filesystem type is VFAT.

I had just started running an update when I noticed the problem.
Unfortunately I did not check before starting the update, so I do not know
if the update may have caused this, or if it was already present before I
started the update.

Interestingly I do not have an entry in /etc/fstab to auto-mount the SD
card, yet it is auto-mounted. Are there any other scripts which auto-mount
removable media?

Is it possible that starting Nautilus auto-mounts external volumes?

I am thinking of 2 things:
1. Either the volume's name has changed, and some script is picking up the
mount point name from the volume's name
2. The script which auto-mounts the volume is corrupted ??

--
Thanks & Regards
Parag Shah