[PLUG] India's $35 Tablet- The Everything Killer

Amit Karpe amitkarpe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 11:15:07 IST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Vivek Varghese Cherian <
vivekcherian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On July 22 a $35 (or 1500 INR) hand-held Linux computing device was
> unveiled
> by Shri Kapil Sibal, the Union Minister for Human Resource Development of
> India. The goal of the project is to lower the price to around $20 in time
> and eventually reaching the amazing price of $10.
>
> In a tablet form-factor and using an unspecified variant of Linux (that
> some
> have said might be Android), the cost should remain low while offering a
> wide range of functionality. The Sakshat descendant is said to be capable
> of
> supporting video conferencing, viewing a wide selection of video and image
> files, word processing, de/compressing files, printing with CUPS, full
> Internet browsing with Javascript and Flash, wireless communications, and
> remote device management.
>
> The complete article is available on linux journal at the URL:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/indias-35-tablet-everything-killer

I am sure that, not a single Chip vendor can come with this cost.
Most of ARM vendor including TI can't come close to 70$ for Processor and
Motherboard. [ SOC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System-on-a-chip }
Intel Atom never be the choice. Have look at power consumption which is 2
watt.
2 Watts of power consumption while solar charging and conventional
battery.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakshat#cite_note-Guardian-7>[
Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakshat ]
This is purely political drama.