[PLUG] Unable to Access Internet on Newly Installed Ubuntu 10.04

Mithun Shitole mithunit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:08:41 IST 2010

On Monday 09 August 2010 03:40 PM, Akshay N. Manke wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 and trying to configure Static IP to use
> internet through BSNL Broadband, but i am not able to configure Gateway. I
> am able to ping any other machine in our network because static IP and
> Subnet it has taken but not able to access Internet because of gateway.
>
>    I have tried to search on the internet and also got some ways to change
> the IP from dynamic to Static by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file
> but it is showing *Read Only* file or by configuring network interface
> through *Preferences>  Network Connections* but it is not allowing me to
> change the gateway.
>
>   I know this is a very minor problem but i am new in Linux world hence this
> help is require.
>
>   Please Guide....
>
> Thanks In Advance.

Have you opened the /etc/network/interfaces file with root permissions?

you can do $sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Add code similar to following. ( change entries where appropriate, make
sure about eth0 by issuing command $ ifconfig  )

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.2.2.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1

You can exit by doing Ctrl-X and then y.

Cheers,
--
Mithun