[PLUG] Blackberry row, what about gpg encryption

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Aug 14 19:43:12 IST 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 06:48:34PM +0530, Praveen A wrote:
> 2010/8/14 आदित्य लघाटे <laghatea at gmail.com>:
> > http://www.asianage.com/india/google-and-skype-might-also-feel-security-heat-739
> > Google and Skype might also feel security heatIt is interesting to see, how
> > "stupid" our government officials can get!!
>
> Why is it stupid? Isn't it brilliant?

I'm not an expert and I do not understand whether the Govt is right or
wrong in imposing this. However the news coverage over last few days says
that Blackberry co-operated with Govts of several other countries in
security related concerns, details of which they obviously didn't
disclose.

If it is taking Indian Govt for granted and give in to pressure from
others, that's definitely not acceptable. On the contrary, did this happen
because other Govts settled for something less than what GoI is asking for?
We don't know.

Mayuresh.