[PLUG] regarging swap space

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Tue Feb 23 23:18:27 IST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:10:07PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 19:54:50 Mayuresh wrote:
> > A 32 bit processor can address maximum of 4GB of virtual memory. So if you
> > have 2GB RAM, you can use at the most 2GB of swap. (How much you'd like to
> > is still a different question.)
>
> I believe on 32 bit processor each process can have 4GB RAM and with PAE, the
> system can have lot more than 4GB RAM, so this calculation does not exactly
> apply.

Agree. Thanks Shridhar.

While each process' address space is limited by the architecture and
total virtual memory is limited by physical resources, this does not imply
that there is any (theoretical) limit on swap space per se. (A
misinterpretation I made in the last mail.)

Allowable maximum swap spaces are limited by kernel implementation and it
seems the man pages specify them per architecture (e.g. i386 2GB.)

Mayuresh.