[PLUG] Devanagari unicode: composite letters ( जोडाक्षरे ); latex

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Fri Jan 15 21:57:27 IST 2010

For an example of the issue I am trying to understand, try typing the word
शुक्रवार (Marathi for Friday in case you can't see devanagari properly) in
devanagari.

You can see the applications like word processors, email editors, browsers
etc. (most of them) render the word properly.

However other applications like terminal emulators (say konsole or gnome-
terminal) split the second letter i.e. क्र as "half ka" and "ra".

It's obvious that there is no separate unicode assigned to (and it's not
feasible too) to each such composite letter. So it is up to the application to
compose these letters correctly.

Apart from Devanagari, even Arabic seems to have the same issue (as per
wikipedia explanation of unicode).

Isn't it strange to leave such core things as font rendering to applications
rather than them being at system level? Can't there be a common system-wide
component to do that?

Mayuresh.

PS: This all originated from my attempt to use devanagari in a latex document.
I was able to do it using xelatex and unicode package - but for issues with
letters like above. Basically xelatex doesn't have the above mentioned logic
to render some of those special composite letters. (Hence it's painful to see
it being so application dependent.)

Will appreciate help in getting letter क्र (as an example) rightly rendered via
latex. (I know other methods like generating pdf by export from OOffice etc.
That's fine. The question is more about latex.)