[PLUG] Netbook OS

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 15:42:55 IST 2010

On Sunday 24 January 2010, Manish wrote:
> I am considering installing one of the following OS on my ATOM based
> netbook -
>
> (1) UNR aka Ubuntu Netbook Remix
> (2) Moblin
> (3) JoliCloud.
>
> Anyone using one of the above? I have heard about some network
>  problems with UNR, but JoliCloud & Moblin both look interesting!
>
> Any recommendation or suggestions here? Any pointers would be highly
> appreciated!

Even though most netbooks are Intel Atom based, they are not all alike.

I have a HP Mini 1129 [2] and have installed UNR as well as Moblin.

UNR - Out of box everything works except Broadcom WiFi [1] and no sound
from external speakers.  There are some work around for external speaker
to produce sound; I have not had the time to experiment with the fixes
found via Google.

Moblin - Out of box everything works except the Broadcom WiFi [1].

[1] Broadcom WiFi can be made to work by installing the firmware from
respective distros.

As to preference, I think it is a personal matter.  Go with UNR if want
the same apps available on your desktop as well as on your netbook.

Moblin - the interface is quite different from UNR and the app. list is
not as large as Ubuntu.

Your experience may wary depending on your netbook brand/model.

[2] FWIW (w/o any prejudice) I have seen pretty much all the netbook
models in the market (Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, Acer, Dell, HP mini) and
IMO the HP Mini has the most ergonomic keyboard.

HTH
--
Arun Khan