[PLUG] internet access problem

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 08:12:15 IST 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Dnyanraj Mali <dnyanraj.mali at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I faced a weired problem today, i have tataindicom broadband connection.
>
> It was not pinging primary DNS 202.54.10.2, but still my skype account was
> working fine, but i was not able to access any site from any browser (i
> tried firefox, floc & chrome). Also my terminal was not pinging the DNS.
>
> I have not installed any firewall & any other application.
>
> I am using ubuntu 10.04, I checked my resolv.conf file to check if my DNS
> entries are correct, i did route -n which gives correct information,
> ifconfig also returns correct information.
>
> Has anyone else has faced the similar problem?
> Am i missing something?
>
> Please help.

Once a domain name is resolved, its record can be cached by the OS (or even
by the app itself). Thus, the application(skype in this case) can keep
working even if the DNS server is not reachable after that.
Using netstat, check what connections skype has made and try to ping those
sites by name and IP address. Both should work IMO.

HTH.

- P