[PLUG] Please suggest me a GNU/Linux distribution

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Tue Jun 8 11:11:17 IST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Pankaj Kumar <pankaj at glug4muz.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>  Please suggest me a GNU/Linux distribution for a PC having following
>> configuration:
>>
>> Processor : VIA Samuel 2
>> Speed: 796.32 MHz
>> RAM:  512 MB
>>
>> The suggested GNU/Linux distribution MUST have at least following packages
>> available in it by default:
>>
>> 1. KDE
>> 2. C/C++/Java Support
>> 3. LAMP Support
>> 4. Quanta Plus
>> 5. Open Office
>> 6. Desktop Publishing Support
>> 7. All audio and video codecs
>> 8. VLC
>> 9. All other standard components of GNU/Linux distribution
>
> Slackware comes close, except maybe on the audio codecs front. What
> exactly do you mean by 'all audio codecs'?
>

>> Please don't suggest URL for installation of additional packages. I want such
>> an installation DVD which should contain ALL these packages BY DEFAULT.
>
> That depends on what audio codecs you want. None of the free
> distributions will ship with proprietary codecs on their installation
> disks.

By specifying GNU/Linux distribution you already chose Debian/Ubuntu
and likes...

:-)

If you are looking for *Linux* distribution then there are others like
Mandriva, Slackware and many more...  :-)

Slackware has historical significance of being the first ever Linux
distro and it would be wise to read "The Slackware Philosophy" and
history to understand thing from it's perspective also if you have
inclination to understand more...

--
१. Stupid question always warrants a stupid answer!
२. Why question the answer, unless question itself is the answer ?