[PLUG] ping problem

Arun Tomar tomar.arun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 09:26:17 IST 2010

Dear Vaibhav,

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM, vaibhav khatavkar <
khatavkarvaibhav86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>        I have an internet connection shared through a Ubuntu 9.10
> machine(server). I have other two machines (one with ubuntu 9.10 and other
> with windows xp) connected to it via switch. The machine with ubuntu can be
> pinged from any machine but i cant ping windows machine from any other
> machine in network. I can "arping" windows machine.  Windows machine can
> ping other machines even internet (like google.com)
>       Is it problem of workgroup ? How do i check my workgroup on ubuntu ?
> I have installed samba (thought it could solve my problem) Samba
> configuration gui (System > Administration > samba) starts with an error
> "could'nt read directives from /etc/samba/samba.conf" .. and list all the
> directives from conf file.
>      How can I ping windows machine from other machine ??
>
> --
> with regards,
> vaibhav

There is nothing wrong with your windows/linux machine or the network. as
rightly suggested by vaibhav kulkarni, you windows firewall would be
blocking the ping request. disable that and you'll be able to ping windows
machine from any other machine.

arun.