[PLUG] ITR e-filing on Linux

Easwar Hariharan meindian523 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:17:49 IST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Shridhar Daithankar <
ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 May 2010 18:49:20 Mayuresh wrote:
> > Income tax department provides MS Excel based software (Excel sheets) for
> > preparing income tax returns on this page:
> >
> > https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/individual_huf.do
> >
> > They state MS Excel as a system requirement for using this.
> >
> > If anyone has tried/succeeded in e-filing returns using this software on
> > Linux (using Openoffice / otherwise) please do post your experience.
> >
> > I could see that the file seems to open fine in oocalc and I could also
> > enable Macros which were disabled by default. Worry is more about
> > following aspects:
> >
> > - Functioning of all macros properly (non-working of some of which may
> >   cause data integrity issues. Worse if such issues are hard to notice.)
> > - Generation of a "valid" xml file that will be loadable correctly on
> >   e-filing website.

I thought the discussion was whether anyone had succeeded filing their IT
returns without using MS Windows and MSO, not whether the government is
implicitly endorsing MS products, or what's the draft policy for formats of
public documents. Please stay On Topic.

Regards,
Easwar
Registered Linux user #442065