[PLUG] Whether to choose ext3 or ext4

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Nov 20 11:20:30 IST 2010

I am looking to format a new HDD for use with Linux.  The drive will be
mainly used as backup drive.

I'd not like to go with btrfs as yet.
Would prefer to choose between ext3 and ext4.

I have been using ext3 on all my systems till now and didn't face any
problems. But wondering whether I should choose ext4 over it just because
it's a higher version.

I read some general information about the two. ext4 has larger volume
handling capabilities etc. which I am not looking for.

On the contrary, there are some disadvantages mentioned like "potential
data loss" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4) which makes me a little
apprehensive about ext4:

Can someone advise?

Mayuresh.