[PLUG] FOSS Activity and Non-Technical People

Mithun Shitole mithunit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 10:01:09 IST 2010

On Thursday 30 September 2010 07:34 PM, Dnyanraj Mali wrote:
> But i would like to say that colleges follow university rules, if linux is
> in your syllabus they'll have to install it..(this is problem in our
> education system)

	As far as I know, Pune University don't make a rule for any particular
operating system. You can implement most of the assignments in any
preferred language on any OS. There are sometimes exceptions like VB
programming or .NET which are OS specific.

	Mainly its the colleges which prefers "windows" due to lack of
knowledge/lack of experienced people in FOSS.

	I personally pushed for an FOSS lab while I was doing my engineering.
My department supported me very well for that. So its more of a lack of
enthusiasm/collective effort which is at the heart of propitiatory
softwares being used in colleges instead of FOSS.

Mithun