[PLUG] [Event report] Introduction to Python: Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune, India

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 21:05:22 IST 2011

Greetings,

Apologies for top posting, Please contact Prof Abhijeet Kale,
Bandodkar college of Science (IT HOD) , Thane
http://www.vpmthane.org/

Write to my personal ID for his e-mail ID

my credentials in public web:
http://www.vpmthane.org/pub%20-%20research%20vol%202005-6/home.htm
http://www.vpmthane.org/pub%20-%20research%20vol%202005-6/home.htm

I would like to point out that the IT infrastructre BRIMS is run on
RHCS cluster with load balancing and I was Computer in-charge there
from Aug 2005 till Dec 2007 fighting M$windows supporters.

====
Another one (my name appears in editors swction along)
http://www.vpmthane.org/pub_2006_linux/home.htm

The first name agter team leader that in the knowledge management team
is mine. Incidentally the 1st volume was released by Dr. N. R.
Naraynamurthy, (then)Chairman, Infosys. It was entirely done with
Openoffice 2.x

VPM, Thane whose chairman is DR. V. V. Bedekar is a big supporter of
Open source software.

I hope you will involve me in this project.

With warm regards and best wishes,

Rajagopal

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM, arun tomar <tomar.arun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 11:39 +0530, Parag Shah wrote:
>> >
>> > This is great. I think spreading Python amongst students is a great goal.
>> >

>> I too agree - spreading Python among students is a very good goal.
>>
>> I have frequently taught Java to students, and I have always felt that there
>> are way too many things that need to be done in Java, to write simple
>> programs. This takes the focus away from programming - to learning all the
>> incidental things that need to be done (even to write basic programs).
>>
>> A typical 10 week semester, falls way short of doing any serious
>> programming.
>>
>> The basic concepts of Python can be grasped very soon, and we can then focus
>> on how to use programs to solve problems, good programming practices, etc.
>>

> I think focus should on faculties as well. I'm a visiting faculty to
> Sinhagad & Bharti Vidyapeeth for Linux. Last year, i conducted 3 day
> session on Basic Linux for "Train the faculties" program organised by
> SIMCA (Sinhagad institute of management & computer applications.)
>
> The program was that colleges all over Maharashtra will nominate 2-3
> faculties for this program. The faculties were given subject choices for
> the sessions, and surprisingly Linux was one of the most opted
> choices.
>
> I was amazed to see that there were approx 50 engineering college
> faculties in my session, some of whom have travelled for 6 hrs just to
> reach the venue.
>
> Their motivation was that they were curious to know more about Linux but
> didn't knew where to start. Once i introduced them to the world of Open
> source technologies (python, perl, ruby, php),Linux, ideologies, and
> motivation behind it, they were hooked, surprised & amazed.
>
> Everyone became confident & promised that they'll spread the message &
> ideals of Open source technolgies amoung their students. Faculties are
> the one, who are with the student's all year round. So if they are
> knowledgable, motivated & aware of these things, then certainly that
> knowledge will be passed on to the students as well.
>
> And that's, what i think will make all the difference & impact needed.
>
> Regards,
> Arun Tomar
> CEO, Solution Enterprises
> www.solutionenterprises.co.in