[PLUG] Can not use the wireless network in Fedora 15

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:17:14 IST 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Chaitany Kulkarni
<shreeseva.it at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have also searched for latest drivers for AR9285 but found that latest
> art09 (or something like that) are already installed. I didn't gave a try
> for other drivers or wrappers.

Do you have the wpasupplicant package installed?   You will need it
assuming your AP is set to WPA/WPA2.

> Please give the details to turn it on and configure it.

Your device is being recongnized o/w you would not have seen "wlan0"
 You will have to play around with the wpasupplicant utilities and the
settings in the files for wlan0 in /etc/sysconfig/network directories
(IIRC)  - I have not used Fedora for quite a while so the above dir
path is a recollection.

In Debian 6.0, I have the following setup for my netbook with an
Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01).

/etc/network/interfaces  (for WPA2 with ssid visible)

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-driver wext
        wpa-ssid <ssid of your WiFi AP>
        wpa-ap-scan 1
        wpa-proto RSN
        wpa-pairwise CCMP
        wap-group CCMP
        wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
        wpa-psk <encrypted pass phrase>  (see below)

# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf  (generated using wpa_passphrase)
network={
        ssid="<your WiFi ssid>"
        #psk="your pass phrase"
        psk=<encrypted pass phrase>