[PLUG] US has become a dangerous place for software development: RMS

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 05:15:13 IST 2011

RT (Russia Today) yesterday conducted an interview with Richard M
Stallman, the founder of Free Software Foundation and the writer of the
world's most advance license GNU GPL. RT asked readers to ask questions
and then they would pick questions for RMS.

http://www.muktware.com/news/3056

We asked two questions on RT's Facebook page and both those questions
were presented to RMS.

Muktware: Do you think USA is becoming hostile to innovation and
competition as the companies like Apple and Microsoft are gaming the system?
RMS: I have to point out that innovation is not my highest value. Human
rights are my highest values. So I don't to get into the dialogue that
treats innovation as a primary goal.

With software patents the US has become a dangerous place for software
development, including innovative software development, because when a
program is innovative, that means it has some new ideas in it. But it
also has lots of well-known ideas in it. A large program combines
thousands of ideas. So if you have some new ideas and you want to use
them, in order to use them you have to combine them with a lot of other
ideas that are well-known. And if you are not allowed to do that because
those other ideas are patented, you can't use your new idea.

Muktware: How much control should the USA have over the Internet?
RMS: No more than anyone else. I don't think it will be safe to have any
global control over the internet. because we could predict that that
global control will work for the empire of the mega corporations and
would attack human rights.

Read more here:
http://www.muktware.com/news/3056

--
Editor: Muktware.com<br>
Skype: No Way...its non-free. Looking for alternatives<br>