[PLUG] Will html 5 adoption end incompatibility woes for Linux users?

Ghodechhap ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Mar 12 09:17:20 IST 2011

On Friday 11 March 2011 09:29:30 Gaurav Pant wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Ghodechhap <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net>
wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 March 2011 22:44:15 Mayuresh wrote:
> >> Not that the standards didn't exist before. But why do we have this era
> >> of "IE only" sites?
> >
> > laziness.. lot of people do not realize(d) that "It works on my machine"
> > is a problem.
>
> +1
>
> other problem is people code for browser and not standards.
> Generally it is observed that a browser is considered to be a standard.

To be fair, there is no reference implementation of standard and lot of
incompatibilities we see today are down to different interpretation of
standard. However that does not help the marketplace.

To recap the history(correct me if I miss something)
- once upon a time, there was a single browser, mosaic, which was reference
impl.

- multiple browsers appeared, following roughly same standard, IE being the
most imp. other one.

- browser was thought to be a flagship product and one-upping the competition
was essential, so html was extended with vendor specific tags.. blink is one
example. Once one vendor did it, everybody is followed the practice in
different direction.

- netscape was the most dominent browser but IE closed that advantage with
bundling.

- IE become dominent and it stagnated.. developers have short memory and
career lifespan.. so IE became the internet

- fundamental incompatibilities(IE specific dom model? hello...) and
inabilities(onchange event for select/dropdowns) made sure that everybody had
to code twice

- mozilla brought back some much needed balance to the game but legacy still
haunts..

- even MS wants IE6 dead(http://www.ie6countdown.com/) but can't

- intranet applications are hard to upgrade and welded to IE for foreseeable
future..

> Viewable With Any Browser" campaign. http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/
> can be a good start.
>
> :)

well.. web developers I have seen, won't find there nose with finger, so
anything that intellectual, is way out of league IMO.

What would change is market push.. demand for websites on phones and other
devices, should drive people away from IE and *hopefully* towards standards..

--
Regards
 Shridhar