[PLUG] Will Aakash run Linux

prasanna balan prazzb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:01:10 IST 2011

On 8 Oct 2011 11:59, "Mayuresh" <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> It's perhaps too early to ask this question for Aakash in particular as
> the specs may not be widely known yet.
>
> More general question could be: can a device that runs Android, run Linux
> as well. (Or with kind of effort it can be made to run.)

For sure..it can very well be made to run linux..an embedded distro would be
preferred

> Rationale behind asking this is, if someone has made a device that runs
> android, the device drivers already exist that can interact with Linux
> like kernel. Only question remains whether they are open enough or not.

The drivers are open...the point is getting the config file of the kernel
which is at /proc/config.gz on android...try it with adb if u have an
android phone
The kernel thus can be built...

> For those who consider Android as a Linux variant owing to its roots, this
> is a non question.  I, for one, do not consider it so. The environment is
> pretty different on Android.

The major reason for it is that andeoid is BSD... Companies thus start wierd
stuff for business... Nd trying a linux dual boot is fairly unrisky but
rooting a cell phone is not what people are ready to try..there is an
emerging android community..xda-developers etc... But they'll take time
reaching common people

> Now which Linux would one expect to run on such a device: A few I know are
> Maemo (little chance of it running on anything other than N900 and alikes
> from Nokia), MeeGo (or whatever its new avatar), openmoko etc. (Please add
> more Linux based distros that can run on PDAs/tablets to this thread.)

Lots of embedded distros... Buildroot, open embedded etc etc can be
built...the embedded community is however not as huge and so any problems
will take time

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Your-guide-to-the-new-35-Aakash_7700.html
> I haven't checked the specs of these.

Building android tablets is more of a business now a days and thus you will
see cheap ones too...

> Mayuresh.

prazzb