[PLUG] Good smtp setup

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Sep 10 08:30:57 IST 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 04:14:57AM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:

Let me restore the focus of the thread a bit.

I want to use smtp daemon that will manage a queue of outgoing mails and
use a relay host to send mails.

Many of them fit the bill. No problem so far.

The relay host requires authentication. I'd like to store the
authentication details on client side - as non root user. Many client
programs do that who invoke sendmail. But that doesn't give you queue
ability.

The daemon may need authnetication details not only at the time of
submitting a mail to queue but also when it for example has to retry
sending mails. This takes away the flexibility of specifying relay host
and auth details entirely on client side.

I don't think it's a totally unmeetable requirement technically, though I
do not know of a daemon that provides this flexibility or how to configure
one with such flexibility.

Mayuresh.