[PLUG] Microsoft - Key Linux contributor!

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu Apr 5 08:14:57 IST 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 12:59:39PM -0600, Kaustubh Gadkari wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> > http://www.cio.in/news/microsoft-counted-key-linux-contributor-245792012
> >
> > Just numeric illusion I suppose.
>
> Why? If they contributed those many changes to the kernel, then so be
> it - they deserve to counted as a contributor. It is what it is.

No problems with that. (Look I am not a stereotype MS basher.) All that I
mean is the numbers do not necessarily indicate _intent_ to contribute.
You might patch a thing n times just because it broke n times, does not
make you a better contributor than someone who contributed fewer times
though with better quality and functionality. Just the count is not a
measure of intent.

They are unlikely to be doing it to help Linux/OSS prosper or something.
They contributed to areas where they had a business interest. Hence I
called it an illusion.

The fact that it helped Linux is anyway most welcome.

Mayuresh.