[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 server kernel upgrade hangs on update-initramfs

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:35:14 IST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Kaustubh Gadkari
<kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6060.ko
>
> Has anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas on what I can do to
> solve this problem? I have a bug filed against this with Ubuntu, but I
> thought I'd ask the group anyway.

I have not tinkered much with initrd files on *ubuntu but the process
might be the same.
Essentially the initrd files contain a fs with the modules necessary
to bootstrap specific functionality specific to your hardware.

If the "new" kernel has been installed then it should be possible to
hand craft an initrd file for that kernel  [1].

You can start by copying the initrd file of the "existing" kernel.
Study it and the recreate a similar file with modules from the "new"
kernel.   Hint:  you will need to know the functionality of utilities
like file, gzip, cpio, tar.

[1] you can always extract the contents of the new kernel package (see
dpkg -X|-x) and install it manually.

HTH,
--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to