[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 server kernel upgrade hangs on update-initramfs

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:02:32 IST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Sunil Beta Baskar <betasam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I am trying to apply a kernel upgrade to a Ubuntu 12.04 server box.
>> The upgrade process hangs on the following line:
>>
>> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-27-generic
>>
>> If I kill the upgrade process and run update-initramfs manually, I see
>> the problem occurring at the following step:
>>
>> Adding module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6060.ko
>>
>> Has anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas on what I can do to
>> solve this problem? I have a bug filed against this with Ubuntu, but I
>> thought I'd ask the group anyway.
>
> I haven't run into this specific problem, but other issues with mkinitramfs.
>
> I have usually checked this in tandem by running linux without the ramdisk.
> You could do the same by getting the package source, building linux,
> reconfiguring and
> trying again.
>
> update-initramfs is the script that does this. Is this script locking up?
> Is net/dsa/mv88e6060.ko a module that you need?

Yes, update-initramfs is the script that is locking up. The
mv88e6060.ko is not a module I need, but it seems to be a module that
Ubuntu adds to the ramdisk. I am going to try blacklisting this module
and see how things go.

> Could you run update-initramfs and post part of its output. You can run
> it verbose.

Sure. I'll post the output as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Kaustubh

> Beta

Kaustubh Gadkari