[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 server kernel upgrade hangs on update-initramfs

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:28:58 IST 2012

On 3 August 2012 12:53, Rebanta Ghosh <ghosh.rebanta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Friend;
>
> can u please tell me like plug where i could find organisiations that deals
> with unix issues.
> so that i can report my problem to them.
>
> Regards
> Rebanto.

Having run a server myself running Ubuntu - which later was migrated
to Debian here are a few quick thoughts:
- Use a LTS version that is _REALLY_ for a server (read Debian Stable)
- not many loopholes
- If your server is mostly doing "Routing" please use Debian/FreeBSD
- On Ubuntu, this command simplifies creating a RAMFS: $ mkinitramfs
-c -k 3.2.xx (3.2.xx is the full version name of the new kernel.)
  - Please avoid using vanilla kernels on "Ubuntu" (a reason I
switched to Debian) - you need to pull Ubuntu's kernel
  - Support for that is available from Canonical's forums [ visit:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community ]
  - Support for Debian is available at http://www.debian.org - for
servers, use stable - no testing/experimental/unstable

For specific help on "mkinitramfs" or "mkinitrd" please try it out
once, and if you are indeed getting an error, please post a short
snippet of the message - that'd be useful for everyone.

Beta