[PLUG] [mailing-list] improving ease of use

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:47:47 IST 2012

Hello everyone at PLUG,

For those who are facing issues posting to PLUG mail.
it is time that these are resolved  in a manner that increases
e-mail participation and encourages people to post on this list.

The plug mail administrator _must_be_ reachable on:
list-manager at plug-mail.org.in
or at a location defined by mailman as default.

This can be mentioned on the page at plug.org.in

The PLUG mailing list etiquette is here (it needs to be friendlier)
These guidelines should also be sent as part of a 'welcome message'.
They also need some revision. Here are a few suggestions.

Wikipedia has a very nice "Welcome Message" template to make sure that
newbies who did incorrect edits are not discouraged.

Suggestions:
Section 1 'before posting'
* Item 5
** Linux documentation is available at http://tldp.org/
    ref: http://www.linuxdoc.org the docbook archive and Q&A

Section 2 'posting to the list'
* Item 3
** Please give a link for newbies to understand what is 'top-posting'
(everyone needs a HowTo post without violating list guidelines,
however relaxed.)
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting

* Item 21
** Please give the administrator a maximum of 2-days [to permit moderated posts]
'a day or two' is ambiguous.

Reference for experts and mailing list administrators:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html (RFC1855) - Netiquette including
mailing lists (3.1.2)

If the messages that have to be moderated are huge in volume, let us
have more moderators.
If SPAM is the issue, please consult us to get a better SPAM filter on-board.

After seeing this mail being discarded, I think PLUG must become as
friendly as before.

My first post to PLUG was from hotmail (c. 1999) and was a top-post.
If that had been refused, I would certainly have been discouraged.

Sunil Beta