[PLUG] [mailing-list] improving ease of use

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 18:29:46 IST 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Amarendra Godbole
<amarendra.godbole at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some questions before any policy changes are made:
> (a) Why should messages require a moderation in the first place? What
> triggered the moderation? Most moderated lists are "restrictive", and
> do not foster open collaboration.

> (b) Why should top posting be "banned"? How do you expect a Linux
> newbie in Pune to suddenly grow ascii email posting skills? If this is
> the entry criteria, what is the real motive of PLUG?

The wording is "discouraged" in the guidelines page.

I do feel that the newbies have to be reminded (gently though) that
they need to change their habits.  I see this happening in the Chennai
ILUG mail list; over a period of time most stop top posting and over
quoting their messages.  I generally mention this in the passing when
I join any thread.

> Frankly, I am tired of the "restrictions to post" on PLUG, and as a
> result don't even consider attending the monthly meets, or post useful
> information.

I hope the list owner(s) and moderator(s) will take this as
constructive feedback.   Being a member of many mailing lists, I can
say this is the only list where I feel unsure if my posting will get
through or filtered to the moderator.

--
Arun Khan