[PLUG] [Event Report] OpenStack, December 1, 2012, Symbiosis (SICSR), Pune, India

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:59:36 IST 2012

Hi,

A workshop on OpenStack [1] was conducted on Saturday, December 1,
2012 at the Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research
(SICSR) [2], Pune, India. Both theory and lab sessions were organized
for the students. I started the proceedings using Perry Myers's
presentation on "Introduction and Overview of OpenStack for IaaS
(Infrastructure as a Service) Clouds" for the Essex release. The
various building blocks of OpenStack with their functionality was
explained. An overall big picture of the architecture was presented to
them with illustrations.

The OpenStack Lab Guide [3] was then given to the participants to
setup their own OpenStack private cloud. Some of them had brought
their own laptops, while others used the Fedora machines in the labs.
We started by setting up the Keystone service, and adding users for
authentication. The Glance service was then installed, and configured.
A Fedora 17 and cirros image [4] were then imported into Glance. The
Nova service was then setup, and a SSH keypair was created for
testing.

The Horizon dashboard user interface was used to start a virtual
machine instance. Using ssh and the created keypair, we were able to
login to the virtual machine and use it.  curl was used to test the
different REST API on the running stack. I also showed them simple
Python examples to demonstrate the OpenStack APIs. As a final
presentation for the day, I gave an introduction on libvirtd, and KVM.

Thanks to Manoj Aswani for working with me in organizing this
workshop. Thanks also to Perry Myers and Mark McLoughlin for
permission to use their presentation.

Few pictures taken during the workshop are available [5].

Regards,

SK

[1] OpenStack. http://www.openstack.org/

[2] Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune, India.
http://sicsr.ac.in/

[3] OpenStack Essex Preview Lab Guide.
http://fedorapeople.org/~russellb/openstack-lab-rhsummit-2012/

[4] Getting virtual machine images.