[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 server kernel upgrade hangs on update-initramfs

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 05:40:25 IST 2012

> Hey,
>
> I am trying to apply a kernel upgrade to a Ubuntu 12.04 server box.
> The upgrade process hangs on the following line:
>
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-27-generic
>
> If I kill the upgrade process and run update-initramfs manually, I see
> the problem occurring at the following step:
>
> Adding module /lib/modules/3.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/dsa/mv88e6060.ko
>
> Has anyone run into this problem before? Any ideas on what I can do to
> solve this problem? I have a bug filed against this with Ubuntu, but I
> thought I'd ask the group anyway.

I haven't run into this specific problem, but other issues with mkinitramfs.

I have usually checked this in tandem by running linux without the ramdisk.
You could do the same by getting the package source, building linux,
reconfiguring and
trying again.

update-initramfs is the script that does this. Is this script locking up?
Is net/dsa/mv88e6060.ko a module that you need?

Could you run update-initramfs and post part of its output. You can run
it verbose.

Beta