[PLUG] Gentoo / Arch / other : please advise

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Mon Jun 4 18:19:57 IST 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:00:53AM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> > 3. Fairly leading edge base and packages. (Unlike conservative BSDs one of
> > which I will be anway using or slackware.)
> >
> > 4. Stable. I will be using this as a backup or secondary OS, with primary
>
> Aren't these two contradictory requirements? (I had Centos with 10
> year support cycle in mind)

I was expecting this question in PLUG ;-)

Let me explain. I need the distro to meet certain requirements wrt
hardware support and applications. In that sense it should be "fairly
leading edge".

Once it meets those requirements, I don't want to mess up with it, as it
will serve as a stable fallback environment for me.

In other words, I do not need bleeding edge, but not something too
conservative either!

Mayuresh