[PLUG] Android questions

prasanna balan prazzb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 11:12:08 IST 2012

On Nov 8, 2012 8:59 AM, "Mayuresh" <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> Well I finally and quite unwillingly (as I preferred a proper Linux device
> always) bought an Android phone - Samsung S or something like that.
>
> It's quite unlike Linux and I feel quite lost in some unknown territory ..
> as of now.

Very much un-linuxy

> Firstly I hope it's alright to ask for help on Android in this forum.
>
> Secondly I hope, unless it's too specific to a phone, the question can be
> posed as an Android question.
>
> This device has Android version 4.x.
>

> My first hurdle is not being able to set a static IP address on wifi
> network. The moment I select between DHCP/static as static, the connect
> button grays out and remains gray even after making all the entries.

I'm on cyanogenmod 9 and static setup is fine here....

> <flame>
> Can't stop but feel N900, despite shortcomings, is easily the best phone
> like device every produced by anyone ...
> </flame>

I didn't possess one but the hacks that I read were done on N900 courtesy
Meego are not possible here

Android phones need huge ram because they are highly GUI based..... and do
things that look good rather than work good

> Mayuresh.

Prazzb