[PLUG] Can I get these Linux capabilities on Android?

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 04:28:36 IST 2012

On 16 October 2012 02:16, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2012 09:30 AM, Shyamgopal Kundapurkar wrote:
>>
>> My usage pattern is, if laptop is on, I'll prefer to do any work on the
>>>
>>> mobile (administration, copying files to/from the device, playing
>>> multimedia contents etc.) by sshing to it from laptop, for which I need
>>> Linux-like environment on the phone.
>>>

>> <flame>
>> Mayuresh, __NO__  *popular* company *currently* makes mobile phones for
>> that kind of use-case
>> scenario.
As I recall, they don't make PCs for this use case either, hackers who
are enthusiastic enough just tend to use them that way. Why would
someone plug a terminal and hacking tools to a box? What fun would the
hacker/wannabe have if things came that way?

I use all my android devices this way (Samsung Galaxy Note, Tab 8.5,
Moto Droid Razr). I even have nice terminal editors on it just in case
I don't want to login from my laptop. Maemo, MeeGo would still be cool
and so would a dozen other alternatives. On the Android market you get
ssh servers, hacker keyboard apps too - pity some aren't open source.
Android is pretty nifty to play with if you can have their debugger
environment up. All Android phones let you enable debugging and are
fun to play with. Thanks to all these features, I always risk dropping
phone calls, but then again, who wants to be interrupted when you're
busy hacking on a shell :P

Speaking of freedom, here's a set of nifty things Android lets you do
without having to *root* it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/120599/6-things-you-dont-have-to-root-android-to-do-anymore/

Beta