[PLUG] Help required

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:45:25 IST 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Vijay Buddhisagar
<vijaybuddhisagar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used the CD for installing  Ubuntu 12.04 on my external hard disc.
> However after installation the disc is not detected by windows as it is now
> in Ext3/4
> platform.

You did not tell us whether you used the "entire" external hard disk
for Linux or only part of it.

> Will it  be possible to recover the windows files from the external hard
> disc ??
> If possible please let me know.

In case you used the "entire" hard disk, your best bet would be to use
an utility that scans the storage media and picks up remnants and
attempts to assemble them back to readable files.  Files over written
by the Linux installation are gone.

Google search for "recovering files from formatted hard disk" shows
some solutions.  YMMV.

> I am not tech-savvy.

You should have backed up the files on your external disk - tech.
savvy or not.   This is a standard practice even on Windows platform
i.e. you back up the files that you care for, before making any
changes to any storage media.

-- Arun Khan