[PLUG] udev rule working

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:22:55 IST 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Saurabh Shandilya
<saurabhshandilya.1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello experts,

I am been no means an expert on udev stuff.

> I am kindof stuck at a point, and really need your help.
>
> I wrote a simple rule for my udev, which is as follows,
> KERNEL=="sd?", ATTRS{idVendor}=="xxxx", ATTRS{idProduct}=="xxxx",
> ATTRS{serial}=="-----", SYMLINK+="mydrive", RUN+="/home/beyond/runn.sh"
>
> &
>
> runn.sh is as follows:
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "it is being executed"
> echo "writing to file" > /home/beyond/Downloads/abc.txt
> /home/beyond/myfile
> echo "done"
>

> Whenever I inserts my pandrive, I got the abc.txt file in my folder, but
> not able to get the display of the echo  lines and also I am not able to
> execute any other C program using this script.

The udev stuff happens in the background (daemon) so the std out/err
goes to the log (if configured).   Try for each echo line:

echo "blahh" 1> /some/file

> Kindly tell and help me out,
> Udev is an user space process, so it executes the rules with super user
> rights??

Yes.

> when the abc. txt file is executed, then why the echo commands are not
> displayed & actually where are they expected to be displayed? I mean what
> is the standard output of the echo command when such a file is executed?

See above.

> Also, the C program executable binary is not executed, ((myfile is a simple
> opengl based green coloured window pop up))

Have you checked it's perms?

You can also check the KDE code for the USB pop up window.

-- Arun Khan

-- Arun