[PLUG] Ubuntu on Android - official release

anandn anandmn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 07:34:44 IST 2013

Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
>I do have N900, but I don't use it as a phone. It works more as a
>pervasive computing device on which the whole household now relies.
>(Will
>take long describe what fun and joy it is to possess such a wonderful
>device that can be easily programmed to realize your ideas that make a
>difference to the whole family.)
>
>I gave up the idea of doing anything like that with an Android phone
>device within a matter of a week of buying it. It's a decent telephony
>device, no doubt, and now I have learned to humbly use it as, well, a
>phone. (That's what the device is called. Ain't it? So no complaints.)
>
>However I got an android tablet recently, with which I expect to do
>things. I mean, at the minimum connect with my laptop and get things
>done
>using laptop's OS. But even this simple expectation is hard to meet.
>Terminal IDE makes life somewhat bearable though.

Give android a try without comparing it to Maemo. For the kind of real estate handhelds have really, better off using an ultra portable laptop running a full blown Linux distribution of "choice" (this is what I do).

Or stock up on the n900 (buy as many remaining units as you can, perhaps a room full of n900's) :-)