[PLUG] 3g Wifi router tuning

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Jun 29 18:46:11 IST 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:12:22PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> Unfortunately the fault involves 2 factors - OS and router.

I kind of solved this. Old workhorse WRT54GL came to the rescue. I
upgraded its firmware from DDWRT 23 to 24 SP2 BETA and used it as a
repeater bridge.

Now WRT54GL "gets along well" with NetBSD as well as Lava i.e. there is no
packet loss in either of the two hops (Checked both hops separately.)

I had already tried WRT160NL (a third router I have) to do the same,
though NetBSD did not get along well with it either (not even in isolation
as AP).

Overall network performance is much better now and all wifi devices manage
to connect with one another properly. (Besides packet loss, Lava was
somehow blocking some of the peer to peer accesses. It would allow in one
direction but not the reverse - that too only sometimes. E.g. from A you
can ssh B, but not the other way sometimes. Now with WRT54GL sitting in
between, all these issues are resolved as well.)

If you have this kind of usage, just be cautious when buying a 3G router.
While it can make a handy travel companion, some models may not always
suit your normal home usage. (Specific model in question, W150, is already
discontinued by Lava.)

Mayuresh.